What is infertility treatment?
One in eight couples worldwide experiences fertility problems, according to the World Health Organization. Infertility is defined as the inability to conceive after one year of unprotected sex, or six months if the woman is over the age of 35. While there are many possible causes of infertility, treatments are available to help many couples conceive.
At Lotus Medics, we understand the difficulties and strains that infertility can cause and we do our utmost to offer our patients in Orange, Parkes and Bathurst the best possible course of action, to assist with becoming pregnant, safely for both mum and baby.
Infertility is a medical condition that affects men and women. Healthcare providers consider a couple infertile should they fail to get pregnant within a year of actively trying to conceive.
As mentioned women over 35, will usually be checked if not pregnant within 6 months, but due to age, women over 40 will require immediate evaluation.
Infertility is the result of a problem in the steps to get pregnant.
To get pregnant:
- A woman’s body must release an egg from one of the ovaries
- A man’s sperm fertilises the egg
- The fertilised egg (embryo) then goes through a fallopian tube toward the uterus.
- The embryo must then attach to the inside of the uterus.
Infertility may result from a problem with any or several of these steps.
Infertility can be a stressful and emotional experience for couples who are trying to conceive. While it can be difficult to cope with fertility problems, it is important to remember that it does not have to be a lonely journey.
There are many resources and support groups available to help couples through this challenging time, and Lotus Medics are here to help you every step of the way.
What causes infertility?
There are many possible causes of infertility. In some cases, the cause is unknown. However, common causes of infertility include:
- Ageing: As women age, their fertility declines. This is due to a decrease in the number and quality of eggs. By the time a woman reaches her mid-30s, her chances of conceiving are significantly lower than they were in her 20s.
- Weight: Both being overweight and underweight can affect fertility. Being overweight can cause hormonal imbalances that can interfere with ovulation. Being underweight can also disrupt ovulation and may cause amenorrhea (lack of periods).
- Poor diet: A diet that is high in processed foods and low in nutrients can contribute to fertility problems. Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is important for both men and women who are trying to conceive.
- Stress: Stress can interfere with hormones that are necessary for ovulation and fertilisation. Managing stress through relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation may help improve fertility.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol can reduce fertility in both men and women. It can also increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes can reduce fertility in both men and women. It can also increase the risk of miscarriage and birth defects.
- Drug use: Recreational drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and heroin can interfere with fertility. These drugs can also affect the developing fetus if conception does occur.
- Certain medical conditions: Some medical conditions can cause infertility. Examples include endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), uterine fibroids, and thyroid disorders.
What are the signs & symptoms of infertility?
The most obvious symptom of infertility is not falling pregnant. In many cases that may be the only symptom couples experience.
Other symptoms that may indicate infertility are hormonal issues, which may manifest in women as irregular or absent menstrual cycles, acne, excess hair(hirsutism), possibly suggesting PCOS(polycystic ovarian Syndrome) or pelvic pain which can be a sign of endometriosis.
Infertility treatment options
There are many treatment options available for couples who are struggling with infertility. The type of treatment that is recommended will depend on the cause of infertility. Common treatment options include:
- Ovulation induction: This treatment is used to stimulate ovulation in women who are not ovulating regularly. Medications such as clomiphene citrate or gonadotropins are often used for this purpose.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI): This is a procedure in which sperm is inserted directly into the uterus. IUI can be used with or without ovulation induction. It is often used for couples who have mild fertility problems or who have failed to conceive with other treatments.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF treatment): This is a procedure in which eggs are fertilised with sperm outside of the body and then the embryo is implanted into the uterus, which is known as embryo transfer. IVF is often used for couples who have failed to conceive with other treatments.
- Surgery: Surgery may be recommended to treat conditions that are causing infertility, such as endometriosis, PCOS, or uterine fibroids.
Couples should speak with their doctor to determine which treatment option is best for them.
Optimising Fertility Status
There are some lifestyle changes that can help optimise fertility
- Eating a healthy diet: A diet that is rich in fresh fruits and vegetables and low in processed foods can help improve fertility.
- Getting regular exercise: Exercise can help to regulate hormones and improve fertility.
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Being overweight or underweight can interfere with fertility.
- Reducing stress: Stress can interfere with hormones that are necessary for fertility. Managing stress through relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation may help improve fertility.
- Avoiding alcohol: Drinking alcohol can reduce fertility in both men and women.
- Quitting smoking: Smoking cigarettes can reduce fertility in both men and women.
Making these lifestyle changes can help improve your fertility and increase your chances of getting pregnant.
What is the cost of infertility treatment?
The cost of infertility treatment at Lotus Medics will depend on your individual condition and recommended treatment plan.
Price in Orange
Patients at our Orange Practice will undergo a thorough examination at your initial consultation and establish the best way forward. A detailed no-obligation quote will be provided for you which will include the recommended tests and treatment options.
Price in Parkes
At our practice in Parkes, we assist our patients with a thorough examination to determine the best course of action. Once established you will be presented with a detailed quotation, including the recommended tests and treatment options.
Price in Bathurst
Couples seeking infertility treatment at our Bathurst practice will first undergo a complete physical examination, including medical history and previous injuries or surgeries. Thereafter a detailed quotation will be given including the recommended tests and treatment options for you peruse and decide which will be most suitable for your individual needs.
How we can help with infertility treatment
At Lotus Medics, are committed to providing specialised fertility services and reproductive health. We are a woman-centred practice and put what is best for women and couples at the heart of our treatments rather than what is necessarily convenient and easy for doctors.
Whether it be our equipment or our multidisciplinary team, we will always choose the best for your care and never compromise on quality.
Our fertility specialist - Dr Sachin Kotasthane
Dr Kotasthane is committed to assisting couples wanting to become parents, with a personalised treatment plan.
Dr Sachin Kotasthane has extensive knowledge and experience in treating women suffering from infertility and offering them the best and most modern treatment options. He is an experienced Obstetrician and Gynaecologist who trained in the UK across various specialised skills, including advanced Laparoscopy, Urogynaecology, Pelvic Ultrasound, High-risk Obstetrics and Menopause Management.
Before moving to Orange NSW, where he now offers comprehensive women’s health advice, services and procedures, he worked as a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist in Glasgow.
Lotus Medics partners with IVF Australia to bring the affordable and highest quality of IVF treatments to the Central West NSW region.
Please visit the following website for more information – IVF Australia: Orange Fertility Clinic
Infertility treatment locations
We are conveniently located at the following physical locations. Please contact us to book an appointment at the practice closest to you.
Bathurst Specialist Centre
Frequently Asked Questions
If you still require more information on infertility treatments please read our most frequently asked questions.
Should you have more questions hereafter please feel free to contact us for clarification.
Most couples will achieve a pregnancy within 12-24 months of trying for a pregnancy. If you have not had success in spite of regularly trying then you can seek help from us.
If you are older than 35 years of age then it is wiser to start the process sooner.
Your doctor will be able to let you know the specifics of treatments after a thorough assessment.
In the first phases of fertility treatment, you will have to undergo a series of tests for your doctor to establish the most likely cause. Thereafter your doctor will inform you of any medical and/or surgical therapies that may help you achieve a pregnancy, Your doctor will outline a series of steps and a management plan to help you get pregnant.
The “best” treatments for infertility for you will generally depend on the cause of infertility and your unique situation. For some women, it may be the treatment of conditions like, PCOS, Endometriosis or fibroids, for others it may involve ovulation induction and for some others IVF may be required.
There is no “one size fits all” and we adopt a customised approach to treatment based on your individual situation.
Provided all the other female and male infertility factors are ruled out, and if anovulation(inability to ovulate) is the main issue, ovulation-inducing agents like Clomiphene or letrozole can be given to help promote ovulation.
Fertility preservation is the process that allows the woman to save her eggs, or a man save his sperm, so they may have biological children in the future. Another form is embryo freezing.
Assisted hatching is a procedure where a small crack is made in the zona pellucida (shell), to assist the embryo in ‘hatching’. This is thought to aid the embryo implant into the uterus.
PLEASE NOTE: This information is not intended to be used for diagnosis or treatment. It is aimed at presenting a perspective
only and is not a substitute for a prescription. Anyone experiencing a medical condition should consult their doctor.